Our clever home teacher back in Colorado told Joseph and Caleb to be sure to get a picture of themselves touching Lincoln's toe. We did the best we could.
We then turned around and admired the view of the Washington monument. It is interesting how it truly towers over the city. We came back another day and got to go to the top.
We walked by the Vietnam War Memorial, which is so moving. It doesn't look that big, but as you walk and walk, and the names of those young kids just keep coming, it does something to you. We also walked through the Korean War Memorial, and just as we got there, the skies opened and there was an incredible, refreshing downpour for about 5 minutes, then it got really hot and steamy. Kind of made you feel like you were in the jungle with the guys.
Then it was around the tidal basin to the FDR and Jefferson memorials. I had never been to the FDR memorial before and like it a lot, as did the boys. Jefferson's memorial fit him well. He's there in the back in this picture if you look closely.
Before we went to the top of the Washington memorial a few days later, we walked down to the WWII memorial, which I also loved. Nephi described it well - a classical monument to the last of the classical wars. It was beautiful and substantial and reverent. The range in styles in the memorials is so impressive, and there's not one that didn't work for me. I really loved seeing them all.
1 comment:
Wow! I can't decide if I'm more impressed with the endless adventure of your summer vacation or the amazing stamina that makes it possible.
Thanks for the details and itinerary. We may just follow in your footsteps, or at least portions of your footsteps.
Post a Comment