Sunday, June 27, 2010

Air & Space Museum

I'm going to be straight up with you here, folks. Just get this out in the open right up front. I find air and space museums incredibly boring. I have never in my life seen an airplane or rocket and been genuinely moved by it. It's taken me a long time to just admit that. Maybe it means there is something wrong with me. I'll also just come right out and say that I don't like dogs. I think it means my heart is a little dead, but I've tried and I just can't help it. I know somehow rockets and flight symbolize the human spirit and imagination and yada yada, but I've never felt it. This is especially ironic given how many days of my life I've spent in air and space museums with my boys, reading eight million placards about every single stinking airplane in the place. Everywhere we go, it seems we are haunted by excellent air and space museums. The San Diego Air and Space Museum. The National Air Force Museum in Dayton. So of course, how could we miss the Smithsonian? We went. We suffered. The boys loved it. They studied every rocket and every Apollo launch pattern. I'll admit that the cosmology section was actually pretty cool. I could imagine getting into astrophysics. We didn't see everything, and they wanted to go back another day, and we made excuses until we left the area.



And now there is half a continent between me and possiblity of another day there, and I'll admit I feel pretty good about that.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm with you Gina. (That's my half-hearted admission about airplanes and dogs.) I'm glad I'm not the only one.