Sunday, June 06, 2010

The Charlotte Cousins

After the emu, we spent a relaxed few days with Nephi's sister Deann and her family who live outside Charlotte. We arrived at their house with Isaac, who we thought was getting better but was actually still quite sick, and after dinner the first night Joseph threw up. It seemed we were well on the way to making their whole family sick and earning the Worst House Guests EVER award. That night I offered one of my most fervent prayers in a good while, and amazingly Joseph woke up perfectly fine and no one else got sick. Poor Isaac just lay in our room for about a day and half sleeping and making occasional sad little noises until finally he kept down a bit of hamburger bun one night and tottered weakly out the next morning.

One morning I took Joseph and Caleb and had a lovely visit with my friend Kim from San Diego, who now lives on the other side of Charlotte. I always enjoy catching up with old friends, and she keeps a nice blog about her family that I've enjoyed reading. I was amused to realize that I actually couldn't remember her youngest child's real name since she refers to him only as Bugaboo on her blog. And now I know it, but I can't tell you, because blogs are good for some things, but other things are just for real life interactions, and her kids' names are one of them.

I'm always amazed by the lack of chaos in Deann's home when we visit. I'm sure some of it is her five kids' temperament and some of it is good parenting, but there just doesn't seem to be the ambient roar that usually accompanies children (mine in particular). My favorite part of visiting Deann is seeing how much she and her husband Zak really enjoy and love each other. He called one day, and I could tell right away that it was Zak that Deann was talking to because of the wonderful tone of her voice. They enjoy so many of the same things and together have done an amazing job decorating their lovely home. They seem to face life on the same team, and it's wonderful to see a marriage like that.

The kids had fun with their cousins, playing outside, at the pool, and especially on the Wii. I was a lazy photographer and only got this one picture, which is missing Monet and baby Jonathan, who we got to meet for the first time and you'll just have to take my word is very cute.


Thanks for hosting us, Deann and Zak! And you just can't believe how glad I am that we didn't get you sick.

1 comment:

kim said...

We had a lot of fun visiting with you--and I think your boys roar is more mild than you think :) At least, there wasn't any noise we're not already used to at our house.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!