Thursday, June 09, 2011

Swimming

We've done a lot of swimming since we've been in Hawaii. Shocker, I know. But I have almost no pictures, because water and sand and rocks and carrying lots of stuff and leaving valuables in cars in parking lots and cameras don't mix very well. We'll go back to a lot of our favorite places that we've found, and I'll make the effort to get a few pictures so we can remember them. But here's a quick rundown.


  • Champagne Pond - This is the small bay a five minute walk from where we are staying, and we've been here a lot. It is amazing. We've gone there several times in the evenings after getting back from doing other things, and towards sunset it just feels magical. The water is crystal clear and heated by the volcano, and there is a sea turtle who lives there. Sometimes we are the only people there, and often there are super nice local families that our kids play with. One thing I didn't clearly understand before arriving is that the only easy access to the place is through the gated community where we are staying; otherwise you need a four wheel drive capable of driving over a super rough a'a lava road. If we weren't staying where we are, we might not have gotten to see this place at all. There is a small rocky beach, and right behind it a shady grove of trees where Benjamin can hang out.

  • Kapoho tide pools - These are just two miles from where we are staying, and we've been a few times and plan to go back several more before we leave. You pretty much park your car, walk 50 feet, fall into the water, and see lots of awesome coral and fish. It is a little tricky with everyone because there is no beachy area. I've only gone once and didn't get to spend too much time snorkeling because Benjamin was fussy, but we'll go back. It's an absolutely perfect place for the kids to snorkel because it is very protected from the ocean, and between the tide pools are shallow areas they can stand to rest if they get tired.

  • Isaac Hale - This is a state park just a few miles down the road. It was ok, but mostly a surf area. There was a sandy area with some big waves, and a protected boat ramp where we spent most of our time swimming. Just back from the ocean is an idyllic little heated pond in a coconut grove where the boys swam for a bit until a local guy came by and pointed out all the dead shrimp probably indicating that the water wasn't especially healthy. But no one got sick, so it's just a happy memory.

  • Punalu'u - A black sand beach quite a ways from our place where we spent a day. There were lots of sea turtles, a super friendly girl named Destiny who endeared herself in our hearts forever by finding Nephi's water shoe that got ripped off, sunshine, and fun but not too scary waves. It wasn't as pretty as I was expecting, actually.

  • Kehena - I think this place is definitely one of the highlights of our trip. It's not clearly marked, although there is a small parking area off a really remote, jungly, beautiful road. From there you hike down a short path to what has to be one of the most beautiful places in the whole world. It's a little cove sheltered by dramatic sea cliffs and lush vegetation with wonderful fine black sand, with a little tide pool off to one side. We spent such a wonderful day there. The surf is rough, so the boys played with one of us very nearby, and dug tunnels and buried each other in the sand. Predictably, a secluded place this beautiful is a nude beach, so things got more colorful as the day went on. I'm just going to say categorically that doing yoga with no clothes on is ill-advised. But there were lots of families, and a surprising two separate film crews making short movies for their respective Christian churches. We'll definitely be back.

  • Onekahakaha - This is a state park near Hilo. It was raining, but we were nearby so checked it out anyway. It is calm and sandy bottomed. The boys were a little bored. But I was in the car with Benjamin so I got a picture.


    The boys are turning into really good swimmers. Isaac wears a little life vest and some goggles and just bobs around happy as can be, and Joseph and Caleb love snorkeling.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

"Kehena - .....Predictably, a secluded place this beautiful is a nude beach, so things got more colorful as the day went on. I'm just going to say categorically that doing yoga with no clothes on is ill-advised." This is one reason I love to read your blog:). I feel a strong urge to make this last sentence into a bumper sticker. I do yoga (clothed, of course) so this made me laugh out loud.