Sunday, May 01, 2005

Millions

Last night Nephi and I went to see the movie Millions, which I've been excited to see for awhile. It's good - I'd definitely recommend it, but it probably doesn't make my all time favorite list. Nine-year-old Alex Etel gives a brilliant performance as Damian, who's cardboard playhouse is one day destroyed by a duffel bag full of money - English pounds - that will become worthless 14 days later once the transition to the Euro is complete. The weight of this money on his soul, his family, and his social interactions is the rest of the story. Damian is a mystic at heart and obsessed with saints, who he often sees in vision and discusses his dilemmas with them. He wants to give his money to the poor; his brother wants to invest in real estate. It is a good story.

A complete nonsequiter in the movie was the three Mormons who live down the street from Damian. It is a strange feeling to be part of a group that is being totally caricatured. The three Mormons are supposed to be missionaries, I think - all young, blonde, and dressed in suits. But they are bizarrely wooden and schmoozy, with wide smiles pasted on their faces as they spout annoying religious platitudes from time to time in a strange accent - I thought it was supposed to be Scandinavian, but Nephi thought it was a bad American accent. Anyway, I didn't really get why they were in the movie at all except for the "Latter-day Saint" tie in with Damian's saint hobby. It is always interesting to see what a "stereotypical Mormon" looks like to other people. I guess when you send 19 year old boys out to represent your church, sometimes you get interesting results. But really, they're not all blonde, and some are actually sincere and spiritual.

No comments: