Ah, La Jolla. Yesterday my Mom came to spend a few hours with the boys, and I got to go do anything I wanted. Woo hoo! After going to the temple and doing some grocery shopping, I grabbed a book and some sunscreen and went to the beach. Boy was it relaxing. I layed on my towel and read (I started rereading Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson again since I loved Gilead so much. I reread it also for our bookclub, and I loved it even more than the first time. If you haven't read Gilead yet I seriously don't know why not.) And then I just closed my eyes and felt the sand and listened to the waves and the seagulls and it was great.
Today I went to the beach again, this time with the boys. This was a much different experience - wetter and sandier and less relaxing. But fun. Luckily we met some friends there who helped to keep an eye on little Caleb while I went dashing after Joseph from time to time. A lot of the time he was off wandering, but I could keep an eye on him. Twice I looked down at Caleb for literally no more than five seconds, and when I looked up Joseph was gone. Yikes! I can't believe how far that boy can get in a few seconds. I'm not sure after today's experience if I'd dare go all by myself with the boys. And I needed someone's help just to get back to the car with all our stuff - on the way out Joseph was happy to walk along and be very helpful, but not so when it was time to walk back to the car. On cue, he started running around and throwing himself into the sand, rolling around and making sand angels and getting as sandy as possible. Anyway, thankfully there were our friends to help and we made it home. And for all the fun Joseph had, Caleb seemed pretty miserable most of the time, and never did really relax enough to fall asleep. Oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment