Friday, April 08, 2005

My living will

Are statements posted to blogger legally binding? I'm guessing not... But this morning on the radio they were talking about the importance of making your end-of-life wishes known to your family and friends, so in the spirit of being a member of my generation, I thought I'd post mine on my blog :)

Mainly, what I want to be clear is that I trust Nephi to make medical decisions for me in the case that I am unable to do so myself (this is the normal legal thing to happen anyway, but I heartily concur.) Otherwise, I don't know how to be very specific, stating unambiguously for example that I do not want this intervention, but I do want this other one. I am very unfamiliar with life-sustaining medical interventions and conditions, and feel able at this point only to request that Nephi be guided by two principles:
  • I believe death is a remarkable and significant step in my eternal existence. It is not to be sought out, but it is not to be avoided simply for fear of death. Please don't keep me alive only because you are afraid of my dying, either for my sake or for yours. My time will come sooner or later, but when it comes please let it come.
  • Suffering and unpleasantness, either for me or for others, are also not to be avoided out of fear. I believe we are given circumstances and trials for a reason, and that if we allow ourselves to submit to the experience our souls can indeed be refined as in no other way. Please don't deprive us of those experiences if they are to be our lot. (This doesn't mean I wouldn't want to be made as comfortable as possible. Just don't allow me to die to avoid the emotional struggle that my living might cause.)

How to apply these principles in a given, unforeseen situation will clearly be difficult, but I trust that God will both guide and sustain Nephi in those decisions and that he will accept that guidance. In case Nephi does not feel guided, I trust him completely to do the best he can. And I request that everyone else do the same, and kindly refrain from litigation.

Maybe I better do some research about how to make these things legal. But until then, you've all seen it here. Hopefully you'll never need to refer to it.

No comments: