This morning the boys and I watched the announcement of the newly elected Pope Benedict XVI, and his blessing over the gathered crowd; I felt a huge sense of optimism and hope for the leadership this man could provide to those who look to him for guidance in drawing nearer to God. I also felt a unity with Catholics who trust in the system and the Cardinals to allow God's hand in selecting the spiritual leader of 1.1 billion of His children (incidentally, that means there are about 100 times as many Catholics as Mormons in the world), not because I necessarily have faith in the same system, but before too long President Hinckley, the prophet and leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will die, and I have faith that the man who replaces him will be chosen of God (much to the bafflement of the media who can't bring themselves to actually believe that some people do, in fact, believe in revealed religion). I was heartened by the dignity the whole process of his selection appeared to have, despite the media's best efforts to politicize it. Also, Joseph really liked his blessing and kept asking for "more song, more song!"
Speaking of the media, I have also been somewhat amazed at their obsession over John Paul II's death and now the selection of Benedict XVI. Mostly, at least on NPR, it has been an excuse to highlight what they view as the extreme backwardness of the church, devoting coverage to groups of (40) women sending up plumes of pink smoke in protest of the lack of womens voices in the selection process, et cetera. I'm not saying Catholics don't have legitimate concerns with their church, but it's just been almost farcical how quickly the supposed homage to and adoration of John Paul turned to skeptical criticism of Benedict, who seems practically indistinguishable from John Paul in any doctrinal matters, having been his right hand man for years; the commentators all are emphasizing his "extreme conservatism" and calling him the "enforcer of the doctrine."
God bless and sustain this man, who as much as anyone on earth now has the power to teach and demonstrate to people the ways of happiness, love, humility, and faith.
1 comment:
I think part of the reason the fascination with and love of John Paul II turned into skepticism of Benedict XVI has less to do with matters of doctrine and more with personality and charisma. I know many people who had great affection and admiration for JPII despite the fact that they vehemently disagreed with many of his doctrinal beliefs. I'm guessing that it's these same kinds of people, who disliked the doctrines but appreciated the man, who are upset by yet another conservative Pope. It's not difficult for many people to mourn the passing of a kind and generous man while still feeling that he was wrong-headed about certain things.
It remains to be seen if Benedict has a personality and personal charisma that will allow people who are idealogically opposed to those conservative beliefs to look past the doctrinal issues and appreciate the person.
Having said that, and being one of those people who appreciated the Good that John Paul II did in the world while heartily disagreeing with many of his positions, God is in that conclave's decision, just as God is in the decisions we all make everyday. It will play out and unfold in Divine order.
Post a Comment