Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lava Tree

We are staying for a few weeks in Puna, a fairly rural, wild, jungle-y part of the big island. On the way to and from most places, we drive down a fantastic road, which is basically a tunnel through huge, amazing monkeypod trees. When you look up, it looks like this. It is wonderful.


Along this road is Lava Tree State Park. A long time ago there was a lava flow here, and some of the trees were wet enough that the lava cooled around them and left casts of the trees. You can see them in the background. I'll be perfectly honest; I was a little underwhelmed.




But there was a big banyan tree with vines hanging off it that the boys had fun swinging on.







Joseph would like to title this photo "Yo."

1 comment:

Buck and Julie said...

I love it "YO"!!! Super cute!