Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ambroses Assemble in Arizona

The last weekend in April I was able to fly down to Arizona for a little family reunion. What started as one or two family members meeting up snowballed until all my cousins and aunt and uncle on my Mom's side were able to assemble in Phoenix for a few days. I think it's the first time we'd all been together in 15 years!
We spent quite a bit of time at my cousin Merideth's home just hanging out. A highlight was seeing her real-life-artist-husband Jason's studio where he makes his awesome sculptures. And playing dominos because that's just an Ambrose thing.
My sister Laura and uncle Tom won both times, just edging out my cousin Tommy and me. They were insufferable winners, of course.
My cousins and I spent a few weeks together each summer at Lake Erie when I was young. They're the closest thing I had to older siblings, and I idolized and adored them accordingly. It's still kind of strange to me that we're all grown ups together now.
Saturday we went to a Greek Festival and enjoyed some good eating. In fact, much of the weekend was spent planning for, anticipating, and enjoying the next really excellent meal. Saturday night we ate some of the best Thai food I've ever had. It was incredible.
The weather was unseasonably lovely while we were there and it felt great after the cold rainy spring we've had in Colorado.
I'm always a bit reticent to have my picture taken with my beautiful sister, since it makes even more clear where the good looks ended up in our family. But it's always so nice to catch up with her. She's got lots of good stuff going on in her life right now.

This weekend was the first time my dad got to meet Benjamin and they were fast friends.
Benjamin also got lots of love and attention from Meredith's darling daughter Grace.

I also finally put together the tribute video I've been half working on for years. It is shorter and not nearly as polished as I had initially hoped, but I really wanted to get it done in time for this weekend so I cut lots out and allowed for a some sloppiness in editing. It actually turned out better than I feared when I was blasting through it. My grandparents were remarkable people. As I made it and watched it with their children and grandchildren, I thought about how creating a family is a significant, enduring endeavor.


No comments: