Friday, May 13, 2011

Joseph's 8th Birthday

Also in March, Joseph turned eight. We had a nice family celebration, and also invited some friends to a swimming party at a local pool.





Joseph has gotten to be a good reader as of late, and he especially loves comic books. The fit is so natural, it has helped me realize that Joseph seems to have a comic book constantly unfolding in his head. Although he is very observant and engaged when he wants to be, he can also seem distracted much of the time, because he is constantly imagining completely outrageous and funny and comic-book-like scenarios. Sometimes while reading out loud, he'll stop mid-sentence and relate a very elaborate scenario he's apparently been thinking about in the background, often involving either a slap-stick kind of humor or something exploding. I'm not sure what this means, other than Joseph has a very (always!) active imagination, and I hope he finds wonderful ways to put it to use in his life.

Eight is an important age in our religion; it is the age one becomes mature enough to be accountable for one's actions. I can see that maturity in Joseph; he want to be kind, and so often is. He has an innocence and purity at his core that I hope he never loses. We love him!

1 comment:

Linn said...

Happy Birthday Joseph! How is he eight? (Did I just say something similar about Isaac?) :) You have such good boys and Joseph is no exception!