Since moving into our house in July we've done a fair amount of updating things. I think by the time we're done we might replace almost every detail in the whole house, much to Nephi's delight. It's a great house, actually. But I do kind of hate almost every light fixture and drawer pull that it had in it. And since that's among the worst of my problems at the moment, I consider myself greatly blessed.
The first thing we tackled was the upstairs bathroom. Here are a few before pictures. It's wasn't a terrible bathroom, really. Just odd and very pink. It has pink marble tile floors, and the walls were pink, and then it had a yellowish swirly vanity top and wood hardware that I didn't especially like. Ok, the towel ring (hung crookedly!) over the toilet went beyond "didn't especially like."
But marble is beautiful stone, and the arches are pretty. I went with the darker brownish-purplish accents in the tile for the paint, and got new lights and towel racks and medicine cabinet and shower curtain bar and vanity top and faucet, and ditched the towel ring entirely. I really like how it turned out.
My parents were huge helps with the painting when they visited us in August. Nephi worked really, really hard to get the medicine cabinet put in, which of course needed a different sized hole in the wall than the previous one. And when I said cheerfully that it seemed like a really easy job to just plop the new vanity top on, he gave me a long suffering, slightly withering look, because of course it wasn't. But he did that too.
(As a side note, it feels like a wonderful luxury to have a bathroom configured so the boys can't drop their toothbrushes in the toilet without trying.)
6 comments:
It looks really nice! The bathroom in the house we're renting right now is so awful--vintage 1960s bright pink. Tile floor, tile walls, tile counters, sinks--everything is pink. Even the bathtub. We're buying a house and one of the main things I'm looking forward to is better bathrooms. And now you've inspired me to think of some ideas for how I can fix my new place up :)
I love it!
The bathroom looks fabulous! We need to update two of ours (we were in the same fix--love the house and overall, its great, but hate all the fixtures and vanities).
It looks incredible!
You guys did a great job and I love the paint color you chose. It all looks quite classy!
LOVE the new bathroom. I'm with you on the wood accesory towel thingys. I think designers feel if you have (faux) wood anywhere it feels more "homey." So not true. I like your choices!
Post a Comment