Monday, August 01, 2005

The big weekend

Well, Friday marked a new era for our little Caleb, who is now officially a Crawling Guy. He putters around just where he likes, which is usually directly into Joseph's current project, so it is a new era in Joseph's life too. We are very proud of him. And he's proud, too. His second favorite spots to crawl to are anywhere he can try to pull himself up to standing (!) so we'll see how long crawling lasts.

Friday was also nice because my Mom came to spend the day with the boys. I shopped a little in the morning to get a few articles of clothing that are not solid-bright-colored-t-shirts. I suddenly realized that my closet is like a cheery cotton rainbow, which is sort of funny since in high school and college it was completely black and then completely white, but all those colors just started to bug me. So I had eyes only for daring prints at the good old thrift store, and it did not disappoint. I also went through the standard psychological ordeal of looking for jeans that fit. It always starts out that every pair I see that I think might fit is actually a size 2 (or occasionally size 0. Yes, there are size 0 jeans.) and then I eventually adjust my expectations, but they are all too big or too small anyway.

Nephi then took the afternoon off, and we went to lunch at The Cheese Shop downtown and used a gift certificate someone had given him. The downtown experience is . . . more flashy, more exciting, louder, hipper, and more expensive than we're used to in our quiet little lives. But it was fun to do together. At least until the Italian ice fiasco, but I won't go into that here. . . We then stopped by La Jolla Shores to see if the leopard sharks are out yet. Nephi saw one, I saw a bat ray, but it was pretty uneventful snorkeling. It was just great to spend time together.

Saturday was my Dad's birthday, so he and Mom came down to celebrate. I enjoyed making a fancy-ish chocolate birthday cake in the morning while Nephi played with the boys, and Joseph led us in a rousing Happy Birthday. Joseph also drew him a picture for his present, but then snatched it back with an indignant, "Mines!" when Dad tried to leave with it. My parents stayed with the boys for awhile while Nephi and I attended another birthday party across the way for some friends. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

No comments: