Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Not-so-hot mail

I would just like to publicly announce that Hotmail is completely self-destructing. After years and years of essentially having no problems at all using my Hotmail account, in the past two weeks it has been a nightmare. I get the sense that Microsoft is panicking since all the cool kids in town are getting gmail accounts, which offers a kazillion megabytes of memory and no grating pop-up adds or banners, and is owned by Google (who also owns Blogger), which everyone thinks is cool, instead of Microsoft, which everyone feels yucky about. I'm just guessing that is motivating Hotmail to make some ill-advised, behind-the-scenes "improvements" with side effects that include randomly not sending my email messages that it says were sent (arggh!), saying that I have no messages in my account for whole days at a time, and the most recent completely blank white screen that appears when I try to see my email. So I've finished importing my contacts into my trendy new gmail account, which I plan to start using pretty soon. So long, Hotmail.

1 comment:

JessAum said...

I agree, Hotmail hasn't been so swift, though I've had issues with it for years. My hotmail account has long become my "spam" account - the one I give out when I register for Web sites, etc.

Yes! Join the gmail club. 'Tis great stuff. I expect to get an update when you have your new address all set up :)