Friday, February 25, 2005

People who think just like me

As has been commented on many times already, the internet has an unprecedented ability to connect you with people who think just like you. You can wake up each morning to a refreshing round of affirmation that George Bush is evil or wonderful, or that the mainstream media is hopelessly biased left or right, or whatever your favorite issue is. Me, I like to read what some thoughtful Mormons have to say, although even that is way too broad a category. My favorite site is Times & Seasons, a sort-of-left-of-center group blog by a bunch of mostly smart and faithful Latter-day Saints. I also skim Meridian most days, too, an online magazine that is more to the right-of-center, but occasionally funny or sweet. For example, one article on there a long time ago recommended to ditch the trendy diets and instead follow the toddler diet, which basically consists of having a toddler somewhere in your home when trying to eat any meal. It is guaranteed to cut your calories in half, because even if you are exceedingly stealthy in your preparations, somehow the toddler will sense that you are about to enjoy a meal and mysteriously appear just as you are about to begin and demand half of whatever you were going to eat. It has worked for me so far. Anyway, the big news on the Mormon blogs today is the death yesterday of Hugh Nibley, a monumental Mormon scholar. People have plenty of nice things to say about the remarkable man, and it is heartwarming to read.

1 comment:

Kaimi said...

Hi Gina,

I'm glad you like T & S. I like it myself. :)

I used to try to keep up with most other Mormon blogs, but lately it's getting that there are so many Mormon blogs now, it's hard to keep track of them all. (I would have to read them all day, every day, and then I would get fired from my job, which wouldn't be good.)

So I don't keep up with all of the LDS blogs out there, but I do try to drop by from time to time when I have a moment. And it's always nice to see people saying nice things about us at T & S.

Kaimi