Monday, December 27, 2004

Our not-camping day

Today was a quiet, uneventful day home together. I sure do love having Nephi here and am already sad that next week he's back to school and work. Not only do I love being with him, but it makes two kids a lot easier to handle.

Our plans for today were foiled by rain in the forecast. We were all excited to go camping at Anza Borrego State Park, but let me ask you this: What kind of lame desert is it that has rain in the forcast for the next week? I've been itching to get outside and into some fresh air after the obligatory post-baby "taking it easy," as nice as it is. But I'm still definitely not up to any long hikes or anything too strenuous - I still feel it when I overdo it. So I thought camping would be perfect. A little adventure, a little nature, but not a lot of walking. And Nephi and Joseph could go for a longer hike if they wanted, and Caleb and I could take it easy. But it was not to be, at least not today. Maybe towards the end of the week this blasted front will have moved through.

So instead we got out Joseph's 2T and put away his 18 month clothes. He just keeps growing... This afternoon Caleb and I went on a shopping spree to some thrift stores to liven up my wardrobe a little. I had a great time, blew $30, got a ton of new stuff, and felt unity with the American public who were hitting the malls for the after Christmas sales. We had a nice family home evening together, and then played a game of Joseph trying to identify what Mom and Dad are drawing on the Magnadoodle. Amazingly, he was able to discern our cats and shoes and et cetera most of the time.

It is hard to fathom amidst such a low key, average, pleasant day the horror and chaos so much of Asia is experiencing after the tsunamis. It is a remarkable thing how isolated we are from one anothers' suffering if we don't consciously reach out. And it's so easy to not reach out.

No comments: