Thursday, January 06, 2011

Other December festivities

December this year was a good balance of fun and relaxing. I was relatively ahead of the game; I got Christmas cards sent out and gifts mostly taken care of pretty early and was able to enjoy the holidays. Early in the month we had our church Christmas party, which was AMAZING. The people in charge did the "Night in Bethlehem" party which I've heard of other wards doing. We were asked to come in costume. I thought about borrowing a donkey to ride in on, but it seemed kind of messy.
To give you an idea of how much work the activities committee put into the night, there was a well (as in Woman At the) in the middle of the cultural hall with running water where we got our drinks. Surrounded by about eight booths with wooden frames where we bought our dinners from bakeries and delis. It really looked great, and I don't even want to think about how many hours of work went into it.

This year I also finally bought the Little People Nativity set like I've been meaning to for the last six years. We just kept it by the tree and the boys played with it quite a lot.
Some friends hosted a Gingerbread House making party for the kids which was very fun. Joseph actually made a sledding hill because he always does things his own, creative way. I wish this was a better photo; he added lots of interesting details, including a woodman busting up some graham cracker trees with his candycane sledgehammer.



The tilted head resting gently on the right hand in all three pictures cracks me up. It is either a spontaneous gingerbread house look, or a cute illustration of how much Caleb and Isaac look up to Joseph and try to be like him.

We also went carolling twice, made some delicious snacks we gave to our neighbors and friends, and did our traditional 24 wrapped Christmas books under the tree tradition, which the boys really look forward to. We tried hard to enjoy this "Christmas sweet spot", with kids just the right ages to anticipate and find the celebrations exciting and fun.

No comments: