Tuesday, August 29, 2006

We now have a Costco-sized bag of M&Ms...

And any parent knows what that means. Potty training time (ominous music sounds). One M&M for peeing in the potty, two for pooping. Joseph gets to pass one out to everyone who's home, which he really enjoys. We're about a day and a half into it, and so far we've had quite a few successes, but our batting average really isn't too good. My patience and good humor has only seriously failed once, after a particularly annoying and gross missed poop this afternoon, but I hope this is over soon. Most friends I know with little boys have had this drag on for weeks and weeks, but they also tried it, like, a year ago. I was sort of hoping that by waiting a ridiculously long time (Joseph is 3 1/2) it would make it easier, but I'm starting to doubt that. The main problem is that M&Ms don't hold the same huge motivating power for much longer than a day, and there's really not much inherently in it for the kids as far as I can tell. My friend Jen used "sad showers" after awhile to throw in some negative consequences for uncooperation, which might sort of work for Joseph after a few days of giving him a chance to get used to everything, but he happens to love cold showers and specifically asks for them before his baths. Sigh. On a cute note, Caleb is trying to get in on the action and randomly asks for "Boppy! Boppy!" We take off his diaper and he sits there for a bit and then he seems pleased. I'm harboring a secret hope that somehow he gets the idea and gets trained at the same time and we only have to go through this once, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, wish me, and Joseph, luck.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Good luck! I tried chocolate chips with Penny and she was excited about them for about a day but after that just like going potty because she got to put toilet paper in the can. I got tired of potty training faster than she did and now when she asks to go to the potty half the time I just beg her to use her diaper. It's hard!! Good luck. I'll have to make sure I'm ready for it next time we go about the process again.