Rovinj is a beautiful little town on the coast of Croatia. The streets are paved with smooth white cobblestones, the buildings are painted lovely bright hues and look perfectly rustic and old without looking decrepit. Every time of day, around every corner, was just a delightfully beautiful scene. It was a pleasure to wander around and get lost (if you're me) or know exactly where you are all the time (if you were anyone else in our group).
This was the first swimming we got to do on our trip. There are no sandy beaches in Rovinj, but no sand means no sand all over everything when you get home and I really liked that! We swam at this little rocky nook both days and had a great time. Fun rocks to jump off and lots of sea glass, too.
One night ellen stayed home with the boys and watched The Sound of Music with them while Nephi and I had a night out. We went to a nice seafood restaurant and ate a lot of seafood. This whole platter full, to be precise. Delicious!
Rovinj is on the Istrian peninsula, a place famous for its truffles, so we also got pasta with truffles. I'm going to be totally honest here: it was good, but I don't get the big deal. They tasted like mushrooms. I'm not a foodie, sue me.
There was a church and bell tower up on a hill with nice views of the area.
Rovinj is definitely a tourist town and has an abundance of tourist shops, but they actually had really lovely things in them! There were also many beautiful artist galleries. It was fun to stop in and see what was for sale. One evening ellen and I were browsing shops on the way home and Nephi was herding the impatient boys, and I mentioned how there were things I liked but I never really got around to buying things for myself. Joseph overheard and bought me this necklace with his own money!
This was the garden and patio of the little basement apartment we rented. It was a lovely place for breakfast, and there were colonies of lizards living in the rocks.
Rovinj, you charmed us!
3 comments:
Your writing (and the pictures of course) make me so happy. The foodie comment made me laugh hard. And Joseph buying that necklace...oh good grief, the sweetness. I am loving this trip you took with your family. Thanks for sharing!
That is a great shot of you and Nephi on the trail along the coast! Thanks for writing up your adventures so we can all see what you've done in these interesting places.
I think I love the idea of traveling with another adult--date night in Europe, and just someone else to help herd the kids sounds brilliant! Love how thoughtful Joseph was--that's when you know you are doing okay as a parent :)
Post a Comment