Tuesday, August 04, 2015

The end of school 2015

As happens every year, the last few weeks of school were a flurry of field trips and concerts.

I went with Isaac one day on a field trip to the Math and Science Center in Grand Junction. I think it is a great model of a relatively low-on-bells-and-whistles but high-on-actual-science-concepts place. And there were snakes.

The kids got to build paper airplane sort of deals and had a great time flying them.

Ben took a field trip to the fire station.

He was very concerned that the sirens would go off at any moment.


With Miss Debbie, his wonderful preschool teacher.


Caleb ended his year with a Colorado history concert. Each fourth grader dresses up as a different character from history, and they put on a great program. Caleb was the explorer John Fremont.

He was also a member of the voluntary fourth grade choir that sang at a few functions during the year and then competed in Denver in May. They didn't do as well as they had hoped at the competition, but Caleb had a good time and I think he learned a lot about singing and performing.

Joseph ended his school year with, among other things, a choir concert that made me so happy.

I had no idea that he had a solo until we were sitting in our seats and I looked at the program.


The choir also performed this History of Dance song that was lots of fun. And guess who was clearly having a great time up there on stage? My Joseph. Watch the video; he's in the middle of the top row. It is so fun to watch him! He's into it! When Joseph was in first grade I remember his class musical performance, and he was not having fun or into it. He didn't really know any of the movements and he just looked so uncomfortable and embarrassed. Who would have thought that middle school would be the time of life when he learned to not be self conscious and to let go and enjoy himself? Not me. I did not think middle school would be where that would happen. But it did! And I could not be more grateful. Quite a few people stopped me in the days after this concert and let me know how much they loved watching Joseph on stage and how much fun it seemed like he was having. Thank you middle school! (?!?!)

1 comment:

Court said...

Those are great videos! Nice job Joseph. That looks fun.