Several years ago my mothers' parents passed away, and my mother and aunt still own their home. They've been slowly sorting out the attic and this summer they went through my grandma's Christmas decorations for her grandchildren and great grandchildren to take home with them. My grandmother never went for anything ordinary in her life, including Christmas decorations. In most every way she had exciting, thoughtful, classy taste, but not, apparently, when it came to Christmas decorations. As my cousins and I perused the ornaments, many were bizarre and some were downright scary. Although there were a few lovely ones from her travels to Scandinavia, most were not. I took just a few pictures of some highlights.
How about this trio of menacing elves? Have a Merry Christmas, or we'll break your kneecaps! (Incidentally, Caleb chose these to bring home, which I had totally forgotten until I opened our boxes last month to this festive, cheery group.)
"Merry Christmas, little girl. Do you want some candy or a balloon?" says the creepy man with the scary mask.
And we all know nothing says Christmas like a bear with a toothache????
Anyhow, this all made me think about the Christmas decorations my mother has given me as gifts over the years, and how they all strike Nephi as a little more bizarre than me. I've had generations of affinity for strange Christmas decorations baked into me! One of my favorites is the cross dressing present-bearing Christmas fish. In retrospect I'm not sure why I've always assumed it was a male fish, but I did. I really like it! So do my kids. This year as I was unpacking they all asked, "Where is the fish?!" It stands on our bathroom counter wishing us all happy holidays as we brush our teeth during the month of December in its bizarre, non sequitur way. "Merry Christmas!" it says. "I am a cross dressing fish with arms and legs!"
Given this rich Christmas decoration heritage, I am already thinking hard about what Christmas decorations I can bestow upon future daughters-in-laws. I know it is kind of wicked, but also very funny, to imagine their anxiety as they wonder where to put the bizarre decorations their mother-in-law gives them that they find embarrassing but not wanting to offend us when we come to visit. "Where is the rollerskating honey badger wearing a Santa hat that I gave you last year?" I'll casually ask.
3 comments:
I love how you are embracing this! Thanks for sharing, I got a good laugh out of it!
I think maybe years and years of either seeing or hearing that annoying "Billy Bass" singing Christmas fish on TV or in the stores has owrmed its way into your psyche. "Hey! It's Billy Bass in Heels" was the irst thing I thought when I saw the picture.
Okay this is sooo funny. I think we all have some strange Christmas decorations from our parents home, but I will admit, these are some down right laughable ones. I need to do this next year. We have a bunch of crushed can, baked flour and water (I swear these have smelled bad since the day my mother brought them home from homemaking in 86'), and some angle ornaments that look nothing like angles. This was funny, you will be so glad you posted this one day!!!!
Post a Comment