As luck would have it, Isaac's fifth birthday happened while we were camping, so we brought our celebration along with us. Isaac was very specific that he wanted an apple cake with blue icing. We had never had apple cake before, but I found a recipe and made one. And put blue icing on it. Isaac added the sprinkles. It traveled well, but not perfectly, but Isaac is the kind of wonderful child that doesn't mind.
He got some presents, including a Camelbak that made him a popular kid around camp.
Isaac is our stealth child. He doesn't draw much attention to himself, so amid the chaos it's easy to not notice the amazing things he continually does. Like, a few years ago he toilet trained himself in one day. Last month he woke Nephi up and asked him to make breakfast, mentioning that he had already made the waffle batter. On his own, from scratch. I think he was the first of our kids to fully dress himself. Once, a year or so ago, he saved a game on the computer and had named it "Isaac", and I had no idea he even knew how to spell his name. He beats the rest of us fair and square at really complicated strategy games like 7 Wonders or Dominion, having completely bypassed a Candyland phase (hallelujah!!). He plays and memorizes pretty impressive songs on the piano. Yesterday he went to a birthday party at an art studio, and the teacher was blown away by his artistic talent, saying one in fifty kids had his sense of color. He earnestly and sincerely prays each night before bed. He always saves a little of a treat that he buys with his own money to share with his brothers. I'm waiting for the day that I discover he's been quietly reading chapter books or composing symphonies or curing cancer up in his room.
Mostly, we love his easygoing, happy nature and wonderful laugh. We love you, Isaac!
1 comment:
Such a sweet post and such a sweet boy. I love how you write about your kids.
Post a Comment