Our baby Benjamin Carl was born on Monday morning, January 31, 2011 at 4:13 am. He was 8 pounds 3 ounces, 21 inches long, and incredibly beautiful. Feel free to skip to the pictures, or read the birth story if you're interested.
Sunday night around 10 I decided it was time to clean the bathrooms. Which was enough to make me very suspicious that something was up. So I enlisted Nephi and we cleaned the bathrooms and went to bed. At 1am I woke up to a serious contraction - the first serious contraction I'd felt the whole pregnancy. Four minutes later, another one, then three minutes, and I woke Nephi up and said it was time to get going. In no time at all they were one to three minutes apart, and I was a weee bit nervous about getting to the hospital in time. We called our friend Ronda to come stay with the kids until Nephi's parents got here and headed off to the hospital in Glenwood Springs, about 20 minutes away. The only adventure on the way was a huge elk herd in our neighborhood we successfully avoided; traffic and stoplights are very cooperative that time of night. We arrived to my relief with no baby yet around 2:20. The nice nurses almost hid their scepticism that I was well on my way to having a baby when I told them I had been in labor for 80 minutes, but they finally checked me and discovered I was at an 8 and indeed correct. Contractions slowed down a lot once I got settled, which was nice since they were getting harder all the time. One of my concerns about having the baby at the hospital was getting poked and prodded and told what to do and how to do it. Happily it wasn't like that at all; my midwife Teresa was wonderful. There was about and hour and a half of things going slowly, and she just let them go slowly. The lights were dim, no one really spoke, and they just let me close my eyes and do what I needed to do. Eventually a bit of drama ensued when my water broke quite enthusiastically. The pushing was fast and furious, and there Benjamin was. Beautiful.
That afternoon Nephi brought the boys, his parents, and sister ellen to come meet the little guy. The boys were so incredibly sweet.
We came home Tuesday around lunch time and things have been going really well. Benjamin is a great eater. He's also a great sleeper as long as it's 1. daytime or 2. nighttime and he's in our arms. So we're a bit tired. But Nephi is able to be home almost this whole week; we're able to trade off napping during the day and we're doing all right. Newborns are so precious and fleeting, and I think we're doing pretty well at savoring the time.
11 comments:
Sounds like a pretty awesome birth experience! And your boys are seriously so cute with him. Enjoy the newborn stage!
Gina- Congratulations! I have been stocking your blog in antisipation for the good news. I was so happy to hear that you had little Benjamin. Your birth story is so familiar to me. We seem to have babies in the same sequence, including that the nurses don't believe us. Benjamin is a beautiful baby and very blessed to be apart of his family. I wish you much joy and happiness with Benjamin.
He is so beautiful and I'm so happy for you all! Again, I love the name and loved seeing those sweet pictures of you with your four boys. Happy day indeed!
What a beautiful boy you've added to your brood. Good to hear everyone is doing well. Congrats!
He is beautiful Gina and I loved seeing the pictures of all your boys. They remind me a lot of my own :). It is a great way to anticipate what is coming for our soon-to-be family of 4 boys!
Best of luck and I hope you and Nephi continue to get naps!
great birth story! I am so jealous! And thankful that you weren't in Dayton.....we had quite the winter storm going and in all likelyhood you would have had that baby in your car!
On a side note....was thinking about Nephi today as I listened to This American Life on my computer at work. One of the stories in last week's show (titled "Tough Room") was about young Mormon men on their missions.....in Manhattan. Interesting listen.
Hope you all are well! Issac is starting to look so grown up!
I am happy that he arrived without TOO much help from the hospital.
Congratulations! I am delighted that you have a beautiful, healthy boy in your arms!
So happy to hear he has arrived and all is going well. He's beautiful.
He is sure gorgeous! Congratulations, again!
What a wonderful story and beautiful baby. Congrats to you and Nephi and Benjamin's brothers.
Congratulations, He is a beautiful baby.
Post a Comment