Sunday, July 19, 2009

We now live in Colorado FAQ

I've not blogged in awhile so am feeling kind of overwhelmed at where to start. I thought I'd just put together a little FAQ post so I don't have to organize my thoughts or string them together with cheery banter. Here we go.

Wait, you moved to Colorado? Why didn't you post anything about this on your blog earlier?!
That, my friend, is why you should join Facebook where I can post convenient one-sentence updates on my life. Or call me!

So where are you living?
We're in New Castle, a super small (3500 people, not a typo) town on the western slope. We're about three hours west of Denver, one hour north of Apsen, one hour east of Grand Junction, two-and-a-half hours from Moab. Right in the middle of beautiful mountains and desert and not much else.

Do you think you'll like living in such a small town?!
That remains to be seen, but I think so. Really, it's not that remote. Within 20 minutes we've got Target, Lowe's, Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Sports Authority. I haven't been in all those stores combined more than a few times in the past several years, but having them nearby makes it feel like we're not out in the middle of nowhere. We're also just a few minutes from I-70. And hello, this is 2009. The internet makes anywhere feel not very remote. This weekend the town had it's annual festival, and there was a parade and food and craft vendors, and it seems like a nice little community. All the libraries on the western slope share books so there seems to be a pretty good library system. Aspen has lots of great cultural things going on if we want to drive a bit. And I think it will be nice for my kids to grow up in a small town.

Why did you move?
Nephi got a job teaching biology and chemistry at a community college here. He no longer had a job in Dayton. We're about two hours from where he grew up and his parents, and we knew we loved the mountains here. Easy choice! We were really excited.

So if you live only an hour from Vail and Aspen, are you guys huge skiers?
No, not really. But if you'd like to come stay with us on your ski vacation, we'd love to see you!

How soon until Nephi starts climbing 14ers?
He's leaving for a trip on Friday.

So is living in small-town rural Colorado super cheap? Do you guys have tons of land and a cool house?
No! It is shockingly expensive here! We bought a nice but unremarkable three bedroom house in a nice little community for about a billion dollars. It's because it's so close to the resorts, and also close to where the natural gas industry was booming until recently, I guess.

Cool, you bought a house? When will you post some pictures?
Patience, people. There are still boxes everywhere! But sometime soon.

Ok, well just tell us some cool things about your house then.
It has pink marble tiles on the bathroom floor...jury still out on that. There are a few pretty arches, and the kitchen and dining area and living room are nicely connected. The closets are bigger than I thought. It's a tri-level, with the bedrooms upstairs and a big open play area in the basement for the boys to do their thing.

So when do you put Nephi to work on home improvement projects?
Yesterday. I cleverly bought the floor model of an over-the-range microwave without all the hardware just to make it extra challenging and frustrating for him. Also, I'm thinking about tiling the entire first level. It has light carpet under the dining area! Have you ever seen little boys eat?! We have to do something, and right now we've got a big blue tarp under the table. It's classy. Also thinking of painting the VERY PINK bedroom and bathroom and orange bedroom upstairs, but I think I'm going to get my very experienced Mom to help me with that.

What's the weather like?
Dry. We're all chugging water and still shrivelling up like prunes. And hot during the days - the past two days were almost 100 outside. Oh, and the house doesn't have air conditioning. But get this - it's been pleasant inside! The insulation is apparently great in the house, and the nights get down to the 50s or 60s, so we open the windows at night, and it stays cool all day. Nice, huh?

How are the kids taking it all?
They seem to be doing really well and don't seem too stressed by the move. They miss the awesome neighborhood kids in Ohio, but on our walks we've already met a bunch of kids who live close, so it looks like they'll be just fine. Joseph makes friends in about two minutes.

Are your neighbors nice?
Yes, they seem very nice and many have stopped by to introduce themselves. One neighbor has a sour cherry tree and invited us to pick as many as we like. Nephi and the boys cooked a cherry crisp and pie already. Yum.

How was the trip across the country?
Mostly very nice. We took five days and stopped at Carthage and Nauvoo, stayed with some friends in Iowa, swam in lots of hotel pools, and went to the temple and Natural History Museum in Denver. The periods of the boys punching each other in the back seat alternated nicely with them not punching each other. Iowa is quite pretty and pastoral. Nebraska is very, very flat. So is Colorado, actually, until the mountains rise up. Glenwood Canyon (about a half hour from us) is stunningly beautiful.

If you're in such a small place, do you have to drive like an hour to get to some tiny branch to go to church?
No, actually. We drive about 20 minutes to what seems like a medium-sized ward. They seemed happy, but not too happy to see us today. Which is good. It looks like we'll have at least a few weeks without heavy-duty church callings.

If it's a rural area, does it have a strong "outdoorsman" sort of vibe?
Well, I'll just say the next three towns are named Antlers, Silt, and Rifle. And the hotel here in town has a big mounted buck head in the lobby. Some very nice neighbors invited us over sometime for some elk steaks that the husband shot himself (which I actually think is really awesome). So I think I'd have to say yes.

Well, I'm running out of questions. But please feel free to post your own in the comments, and I'll answer them.

Overall, moving here is an answer to many of our prayers and deepest hopes. To be near to the mountains and desert and family, with a stable job that fits Nephi very well and supports our family, in a pleasant little neighborhood... we have been very well watched over and feel extremely blessed and grateful.

17 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I think it sounds like a fun place and can hopefully be 'home' for a while. I'm looking forward to someday settling down like that too. There's been a heat wave across the west during the last few days, so hopefully it won't be quite so bad next week. Cool nights make a huge difference on that though!

wajd said...

YEAH for deserts and mountains. Welcome home. We'll need to meet in Moab when all kids can hike on their own. :)

Thanks again for such a fun visit in June.
love,
Wendi

Marg said...

Loved hearing about your new home and having you closer, in Colorado. You're westerners at heart, I think, and am thrilled this all happened as it did. Moving is the pits but it forces you to regorganize your life and I, for one, wouldn't do it otherise.

Just got back from San Diego (to my nephew's wedding) and got to see the Mitchell's new home. Seems odd to have the Ward so small. They divided it, you know. Sherri Knoblock was the chorister in Sacrament Mtg.

Miss you. Please come to SLC soon!

Linn said...

Thanks for the great email and for this fun post. You are such a fabulous writer, Gina! I've always wanted to live in CO. I am super jealous. Good luck with it all!

Mindy said...

I am glad the move went well! Hopefully we're close enough to see each other occasionally.

Mollie said...

Sounds like a good move for you guys. I can't wait to see pictures of your new place, and also some of the kiddos. It's crazy how fast they grow up!

Leslie said...

Gina, this sounds awesome for you guys and your last paragraph says it all so well -- very well watched over. Best of luck as you settle in and get situated/oriented. And congrats on buying a house!

P.S. How are the schools?

Gina said...

Leslie, the schools seem ok. We chose this town because the schools seemed the best in the area. They are new and nice looking, and I've heard good things from people who live here about the elementary school down the street. The test scores are so-so. I'm hoping they turn out to work well for the boys.

Kendra said...

Greeting from Dayton! Glad to hear all is well. Seems you've found a nice little place to call your own. I grew up in a small town and it does indeed have it's advantages.

What's a "14er?"

Gina said...

A 14er is one of the 50-some mountains in Colorado over 14,000 feet high.

denebug said...

I'm so happy that we [relatively] close! We'll have to meet in Moab sometime.
How far does Nephi have to commute for work?

Gina said...

Rachel, it's about 14 miles and takes him about 20 minutes. Not great, but not too bad. The college itself is out by an airport, across the river from Rifle, and it's not a practical walk even from there, although I'm sure if we lived in Rifle riding his bike would be a possibility.

Jen said...

wow, you have had a busy spring! congrats on buying a house and good luck with home improvement projects.

Melissa said...

After reading your post, I feel like moving. There's something so exciting and adventurous about starting out in a new place.

I really enjoyed living in a small town. For me, it did take a little longer to adjust and fit in with those who had been friends and neighbors for generations - I had to be the "new" girl much longer than I was use to being in larger cities. Eventually I found my place and made great memories and friendships.

We've been talking about a trip to Colorado Springs for a few years now, hopefully we can make it a reality next summer. We would love to stop in and spend some time with you.

Molly said...

Antlers, Silt, and Rifle. I love it!

kim said...

I hope we'll be able to meet up with you guys sometime--my mom lives in Denver, and maybe someday we'll make it out there to see her, and either drive over to UT to see siblings, or head up to the mountains for some snow time. I was a little sad when my parents moved to CO and didn't go to some small mountain town.

Valerie said...

Congratulations!!! We'd love to end up on CO someday. So glad all has worked out so well for you!!