Monday, August 04, 2008

Hocking Hills

Nephi and I went to Hocking Hills State Park Friday and Saturday while my parents stayed with the kids here at home. I must say that the occasional kidless getaway is well worth the effort. Thanks again, Mom and Dad!!

Going places with Nephi is always more adventurous and exciting and nerve-wracking and fun than I expect. Friday night we sort of blazed our own trail down a side canyon near our cabin into the main canyon. Nephi has an unfailing, uncanny sense of direction, whether in cities or out in the woods, and he navigated us right to where we wanted to be through some very beautiful places, including along a remarkable waterfall. The next day we saw some of the more well-marked areas. Here we are at Cedar Falls:



Hocking Hills is a beautiful area with several really remarkable rock formations, including Ash Cave:


Here I'm contemplating something really deep and important in Conkles Hollow:


Overall, it was just a refreshing, wonderful time together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree....any "kidfree" alone time you can get is good for your mental (and marital) status.

Mitchell Family said...

Sounds great and just what I need. Right now I'm packing for a family reunion and I'm fairly sure it won't be as relaxing.

Bethany said...

very beautiful. I glad you were able to get away together. That sounds so fun and different from the normal routine.

kim said...

What a beautiful place! And yes, you have to get a kid-free vacation in whenever possible!!!! Its especially nice if you can go with your husband, but I'm not above just taking off by myself if I can :)