Well, it was quite the summer for happening upon cute cuddly things in our backyard. One evening Joseph and I saw a rabbit hanging around the middle of our yard, scratching strangely in the dirt. When it ran away we were curious, so we walked over and saw this:
More curious, we poked around a bit and found this! They couldn't have been more than a day or so old when we found them.
A week and a half later the bunnies looked like this:
All five survived, as far as we could tell! We even saw the first one hop away. Happy trails, little bunny, and may you be invisible to housecats and birds of prey until you're a little bigger!
Imagine our surprise a few weeks later to find another nest in our backyard with five more bunnies. This group had a few more problems. The neighborhood kids were a bolder in "caring for them" and a few were loved to death. I think only two survived. I thought about making some rules about not carrying them around, but then I thought about the wonder of caring for bunnies over summer vacation and decided it was worth it. Our yard was the very cool hangout for a week or so. Joseph eventually got a little jealous of all the attention the bunnies got. "I just want to be friends with boys!!!" he said one day. "Boys who don't think bunnies are [cue syrupy voice] soooo cute."
A few weeks later while mowing the lawn I found what I think was yet another bunny nest in the side yard, but all the bunnies were gone. Just another (very adorable) reason I'm glad we don't own any cats or dogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment