Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The cliche CSA

A few months ago as I was leaving Trader Joe's with my groceries in cloth bags wearing an Obama t-shirt and Chacos to get into my car which had the radio tuned to NPR, I realized I AM SO CLICHE. I even want to get a Sigg water bottle but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's embarrassing but true. The only saving grace is that I'm Mormon, have three kids, and drive a minivan instead of a Volvo. But seriously, I don't know how much that helps.

So in an effort to force myself even deeper into the stereotype, I've joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture for those of you non-Omnivore's Dilemma fans). Once a week for $25 we get a Happy Box delivered (Yes, that's really it's name! It's so cheesy I think it almost defies the cliche) right to our door full of delicious, mostly-local organic produce. Behold tonight's delivery:


It's not all local obviously (no bananas in Dayton) but as much as the earnest organic farmer can produce is. We joined a CSA in San Diego that totally rocked. This one is also good but the farming and climate in Dayton just isn't the same, I fear. We get a lot of celery. A whole, whole lot of celery. But other than that we get through most things each week, they're delicious, we're eating more vegetables than we would otherwise, I think it costs about as much as it would to buy at Meijer, and Caleb couldn't be any more excited about it. He measures his weeks by how many days until Wednesday when the Happy Box arrives and he enthusiastically helps unpack it.

3 comments:

FoxyJ said...

We just rode our bikes to the farmers' market tonight, so we're totally deep into it too. Of course we live smack in liberal paradise now, so we don't stick out too much. When we lived in Seattle I signed up for one of those companies that delivers produce each week and I loved it for many of the same reasons.

Debby said...

Ahh! I miss the San Diego CSA. They have farmer's markets here during the summer - but no sign up CSA service that will reach me here. I sure miss it being delivered! Glad you found something there!

kim said...

I miss the SD CSA too. They do have some here that I need to check out. Although I seriously wish they would just stick to what they can actually grow locally and make it a smaller box/smaller fee if there isn't enough variety instead of throwing in bananas and other things that obviously don't come from here. It just feels like it defeats the purpose to me--I can pick out my own bananas at the store. I've had the same experience with the farmer's markets here--too much fruit with PLU stickers and things like pineapple and bananas that I really don't think they grow in NC.