Monday, November 22, 2010
The first day of Thanksgiving break
Here's how Nephi and the boys spent pretty much the entire first day of Thanksgiving break. Well, after a little early morning playing in the snow while Nephi hung the Christmas lights on our roof. Nephi and the three boys played Cities and Knights of Catan for about seven hours. Yes, even Isaac, who seemed to have a better-than-you'd-expect-for-a-three-year-old grasp of what was going on and really enjoyed feeding his knights and building roads. Joseph and Caleb were totally into it, with good strategies and goals. If you're not familiar with the game, it's quite a complex strategy game. This is close to nirvana for Nephi. He loves strategy games, but they have lots of small pieces and take a long time to play which tend to make them incompatible with little kids. So to discover that one's kids are suddenly old enough to play such games with, and that they love them maybe even more than you, is a happy discovery indeed. (I must also add that for nearly the entire time, they listened on repeat to the soundtrack of Spirit Stallion of the Cimmaron which Nephi very unwisely downloaded one day at the request of Joseph. It mostly consists of Bryan Adams ballads and pump-you-up sorts of songs. The boys really, really like it, and I'll leave it at that.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It's so fun when you can play games with your kids! I've been waiting for the day when we can have long Monopoly tournaments and play Clue all day long. We may have to check that one out--I've never played before.
Fantastic that Nephi can play with the boys! What about you, Gina? Is it your sort of game?
I've tried playing a few times, but I'm pretty terrible at strategy games, so it never goes well for me. It's like a trainwrecked vesion of Risk in my case. ;-)
Happy Thanksgiving! Hugs to you all!
We play settlers but the boys would go nuts over knights. I love playing strategy games and am looking forward to a few all-day games now that my nephews have arrived.
Have you guys tried Blokus? it's a fun strategy game
WOW! Is that Joseph standing on the chair next to Nephi?? He looks so grown up!
Post a Comment