Sunday, February 28, 2010

Presidents Day at Colorado National Monument

A few weeks ago, we all had Presidents Day free and thought we should do something fun. Sunday we drove down to Nephi's parents' home and spent the night with them. It was Valentine's Day and Grandma helped the boys make cute cards for us. Joseph was enamored with the ducks in their pond and had a good time trying (unsuccessfully) to sneak up on them. Monday we headed home through Grand Junction and the Colorado National Monument. It was cold out so we mostly drove through along a stunningly beautiful road. We did one short hike to Devil's Kitchen - a big sandstone outcropping. There was some snow and ice along the path, which made for some slipping, which made for some unhappy boys, but once we got there we had a good time climbing around and enjoying the view.

 

 

 

 


The exit to the Monument is right by the Dinosaur Journey museum in Grand Junction. We're members, so we stopped and spent about 45 minutes there, which is about right. It's a small place and the boys like it. Every time we go, however, I wish I remembered to bring my camera to take a picture to post on here of the last stunning display. It cracks me up every time. After the whole museum and accompanying video are very carefully non-bloody, this display shows a six-foot-tall theropod with the severed head of a sauropod hanging from its mouth. The sauropod's body is on the ground, and it's head is ripped off around mid-neck. And the head is still connected to the body by these stringy, dangling, ligamenty-looking things. The display animates, and the theropod shakes the head back and forth so the ligaments swing around looking bloody and gross. It is so off the wall, I just wish I had been in on the brainstorming sessions for that display. My kids don't seem to find it too disturbing, though, so there's that.

A nice day! I love my family!

2 comments:

JessAum said...

It looks like so much fun!

...and when did your kids, um, grow? They were shorter younger looking the last time I saw them. Sheesh! :)

Valerie said...

Sounds lovely!