Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My 25 Facebook Things

I know people who aren't on Facebook have this idea that it's mainly for people who have some narcisistic compulsion to broadcast to the world everything about themselves, throwing all pretense of modesty or sense of privacy to the wind. Not unlike blogging, really. Well, to totally confirm your suspicions, I'll let you know about a little "note" that's been going around Facebook for the last week or so. You're supposed to list 25 random things about yourself, then tag 25 other people to do the same. And lots of people are doing it. I think it's been so much fun to read people's lists! I've learned a lot about people, even people I thought I knew pretty well. Anyway, a few days ago I finally sat down and put together my 25 things. And I wouldn't want you to miss out just because you're not on Facebook. So here are 25 random things about me.
  1. I was on a jump rope team in elementary school. I can do double dutch, jump rope while also jumping on a pogo ball (whatever happened to those things, anyway?), and do double unders until the cows come home.
  2. Two of my babies were born underwater. Like in a big bathtub.
  3. The grossest thing I ever tried to eat was a plate full of baby eels. I’m not a squeamish eater, really, but it was so utterly repulsive. People, it looked sort of like spaghetti but you could see the little spines. Ugh, I’m starting to gag.
  4. At one point I was nearly conversant in Japanese – I studied it for quite a few years and could even read some. I now remember pretty much nothing at all.
  5. The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy is some of the most stunningly good writing and storytelling I’ve read recently. Man, I loved those books. I honestly still miss the characters.
  6. When I was in high school I’d skip lunch period and go hide out and eat in the girl’s locker room so I could read Dostoyevsy and Nietzsche. I mean, that’s sort of cool, and sort of sad, and sort of unbearably pretentious.
  7. When I was in high school I converted and became a Mormon. Best thing I’ve ever done. Honestly. I love being Mormon.
  8. After I graduated high school I was invited to the White House where I got to meet President Clinton and was honored for being a US Presidential Scholar. It was a big deal. Yeah, I don’t think you’d really peg me now as being a hyper-over-achiever. I guess those were the glory days…
  9. I really hate singing and I’m so super bad at it. But we sing a lot in our family. I’m already dreading when my boys are teenagers and think I’m such a dork and make fun of my singing.
  10. All but one of my old boyfriends and/or crushes are facebook friends – like all the way back from junior high. Hi, guys! Actually now that I see how they’re turning out, I think I had pretty good taste. They all still seem like interesting, cool people I’d like to be friends with.
  11. One of the coolest things I’ve done is go swimming out in the bioluminescent algae blooms in San Diego at night. The water and sky were pitch black, but as you moved through the water it glowed and left trails. I’m guessing it could be properly described as “trippy,” but I wouldn’t really know.
  12. I let my kids run around without shoes on pretty much everywhere.
  13. I miss the American West. If you haven’t spent time out in the mountains and deserts out there, you’re really missing out. In fact I’m starting to think Nephi and I need to arrange our lives better to be sure we get to spend lots more time out there.
  14. I voted for George Bush in 2000. But it was in Utah so it totally didn’t matter!!! But still.
  15. I am married to one of the kindest people ever. Nephi was once described as having a “gentle spirit,” and we sort of laughed about it, but it’s true.
  16. Nephi and I published a scientific paper in a real journal together – he was first author and I was second. We did the research together the summer after we got married.
  17. I’ve never seen the movie Titanic.
  18. When my family lived in Germany when I was in junior high I threw such a fit about the tragedy of missing a school dance that my family decided not to take the trip to Scandinavia to see the fjords after all. Still kicking myself!!!
  19. I was married when I was 19. (No one tell my kids!!)
  20. I have had a Secret security clearance.
  21. I went on a backpacking trip with my sister and Nephi a few years ago along the Napali Coast in Kauai. It was really great.
  22. I’m a lousy chess player. And you’d think I would be good because I’m good at math, but no.
  23. I once had an entire year’s supply of basic food like wheat, dry milk, etc, for our family stored in a two bedroom apartment. Weird, I know. It’s a Mormon thing. But wouldn’t you know it, now when the economy’s going to pot we’ve got nothing.
  24. Related to #23, I own and use a wheat grinder. Two, actually. Like I take wheat berries – the little kernels – and grind them to flour in my very own kitchen, and then bake bread and stuff with the flour. I could probably divide my facebook friends into two groups – those who think that’s pretty normal, and those who think it’s one of the weirder things they’ve ever heard.
  25. When I was ten I got to ring the bell on the Notre Dame Cathedral. Well, sort of lightly tap it with a metal rod, not full on ring it. But even at the time I could tell it was the sort of thing I’d put on lists like this because it sounds so exotic.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

I put my list on my blog too. Too much work to not wring as much out of it as possible! In fact I considered breaking it into smaller segments to have more blog content but then I thought that would just be overkill.

Linn said...

That was just awesome! Gina, I thought you were cool before, but that just put you up about 67 notches. Thanks for sharing. Especially as I haven't joined Facebook. I have no problem with the idea, I just know I would be on it WAY too much and I'm pretty sure I already have a problem with being on the computer too much. I don't need any help in that department. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

you're awesome. pretty much the best list i could imagine.

i love you.

Valerie said...

I'm with you on the barefoot thing. It's amazing my kids have never stepped on glass, or got tetnaus, or something. I still love walking barefoot as often as possible.

Mitchell Family said...

I'm still holding out on Facebook, so I'm glad you published this. I had no idea you could speak Japanese.

Hollie Wood said...

HEY!! Where have you gone?? I am missing you!!