Monday, September 01, 2008

The picture that I can't let go

I've been thinking more about the picture from the last post and why it strikes me as ridiculous and frankly bothers me. It really boils down to the fact that Sarah Palin, the candidate for vice- president, is holding a four month old baby.

I guess it's my experience the past few years raising some younguns myself that makes the idea of being vice president of the United States of America while taking care of a very young child nothing but the storyline of a probably-not-very-funny-comedy. Oh no! Palin is about to walk into negotiations with North Korea and the baby poops all over her suit! She's madly trying to clean it off and use the public restroom hand dryer to make herself presentable! Hilarity ensues! She is momentarily distracted by a call from Putin when curious Junior crawls over and almost pushes that big red button in the Oval Office! Hoo boy, that was a close one! Will these tedious pentagon briefings ever end so she can get to her breast pump before her nursing breasts explode? I mean, the idea that she would be caring for an infant, toddler, and preschooler while performing her responsibilities as vice-president is nothing more than a farce.

The whole thing would be much more palatable to me if it were her husband holding the baby in the background while she and McCain stand forward ready to lead. I don't know what the Palin's childcare arrangements are, but I'd bet you a lot of money that it's not Sarah that's going to be raising that baby for the next four years if they win. Vice-president of the United States does not strike me as the sort of job that is conducive to work/life balance. I don't necessarily fault her for this; heaven knows there are plenty of fathers who have checked out for a few decades to do important things while their competent wives have raised very successful, good kids back at home. That sort of life does not appeal to me personally, but I honestly think there are families who make it work, and work well. But lets be honest about it. She's not going to be around much to do a lot of mothering. (I will say that the campaign falls, in my experience, at the total sweet-spot of babyhood in terms of getting things done - four to six months old. That little guy doesn't eat as often, still sleeps a lot, and isn't mobile. Total lucky break for her!)

When I was thinking about this initially, I was amazed by how sexist I apparently was, but I don't think that's it. If any candidate were to take a campaign picture holding a baby, it would rub me the wrong way. Presidents have genuinely important things to do. Our whole nation counts on them to be focused, committed, and on their game all the time. It really matters. In my experience there is nothing that is less conducive to being those things than being responsible for young children. If a man or woman is the parent of a four month old baby and feels strongly about being significantly involved in that child's life over the next several years, vice-president is just not the job for them at that time in their life. I could understand that position. I would even honor it, because I think raising children is very important work. But I strongly believe that raising small children and being one of the leaders of the free world do not mix. I don't want little kids around when anyone is fulfilling those heavy responsibilities, man or woman. Kids are devious, uncooperative, distracting and demanding little stinkers at all the wrong moments, trust me.

So it comes down to the fact that I expect by running for this office at this time, Sarah Palin is willing to have someone else raise that baby. That person may be extraordinary, loving, and terrific, and it might be the father. I do not automatically think that is the wrong choice, I honestly do not. But don't present her as candidate and mommy at the same time. It just doesn't work for me.

5 comments:

Debby said...

Well said Gina!

kim said...

I had the same thoughts/questions when I heard about her baby. And I'm trying to not let it totally push me one way--obviously people make all types of decisions about their families that may not fall into what I think is best. And maybe it will be her husband raising that baby, which how can I say that its better or worse for one parent rather than the other to check out of the family for a few years (although I personally am all for neither parent forgoing the parenting experience). I just can't understand the desire to do so. But that's why I'm at home with half a master's degree and not a lot of desire to return to finish it any time soon.

Anonymous said...

I will say this: If what I have put in my post is untrue then I take it all back and DAMN the media for skewing the truth! This is why politics is so stupid! You don't know who or what you can believe!

denebug said...

Amen. I also think that Palin's candidacy is a net loss for women and families working for reasonable family leave provisions. While I acknowledge that some occupations require a new mother to return to the workforce shortly after giving birth, and governor would be one of these, I think that job performance on the whole would benefit from longer leaves. It is naturally hard to separate a mother from her 6 week or 3 month old baby at the end of the maternity leave to return to work. But Palin makes it look easy, perpetuating the myth that you can have it all--work, family, and fancy glasses. And if she can juggle family and work so successfully, why should there be any major policy change? Argh!

Adele said...

I don't know who you are, I just saw your blog under my sister's friend list (jen-chrisenglish). I like your posts, they are funny and interesting.