Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Backyard tour

A week ago or so Slate had an article about suburban lawns and how much the author hates plastic play equipment for kids. I have to sort of agree, although I think he and most people who passionately dislike plastic toys are a little hard to take. But I agree that most elaborate play equipment is rarely used. We don't have any swing sets or similar things in our yard, and my boys play outside for the better part of each day lately. (Turns out May in Dayton has some really great weather!) My older neighbor commented to me awhile ago that my boys were very creative (thank you!) and she'd never seen kids spend so much time playing with only a long rope and some sticks. Anyway, the article got me thinking about our yard and what the boys like most about it. The places they spend their time are not the places most adults would expect, and in fact I think most of them would be landscaped away by many people. Here's our backyard:
I asked Joseph and Caleb to show me their favorite places back there. This scraggly old tree was their first favorite place when we moved into this house. It's easy to climb and they've spent a long time being howler monkeys in it:

Next is a pine tree in the corner. It's tough to climb but has a great little secret area under the branches. Today it was Caleb's "construction zone":

Next is the "big climbing tree" good for peeking out into the park behind our house on the lookout for ice age predators that might be sneaking up:
Along the back fence is the designated garden area. Since we're renting we haven't put any thought into a garden, but Joseph sure has. This is the area where he plants his apple seeds, and today we planted this pretty impatiens the boys picked out at the store yesterday:

This next one was a surprise to me; I had no idea Joseph had a "poison pit" in our very own backyard, but there it was, an old pipe he puts a stick down to stir his poison brew. He also thinks it might be a useful rocket launching pad:
Next is this infernal mud hole that the boys love and I loathe. It started out as a big hole that was just waiting for someone to twist an ankle in, so we tried filling it in with some dirt. They boys dig it back out, and it is their "pond." Joseph is waiting for the frogs to move in, and he thinks maybe ducks or geese would like to stop by for a drink if they're thirsty. After it rained a few days ago they were thrilled to see a few water insects floating around on it. Yesterday they sailed our seven year old neighbor girl's little boat on it. She didn't get the tiniest bit dirty. Joseph was covered in mud.
Finally we have our very own buttercup meadow in the middle of the yard. They are so lovely and attract little butterflies, and I don't know how I could ever think of them as weeds. In the second picture note Joseph has some dandelions in his hand. For the past few days he and Caleb have spent hours picking dandelion stems from the lawn and throwing them in the garbage can. How can I argue with that?

In the Slate article the author quotes Michael Pollan (who I really like!) in his book Second Nature: "To a four-year-old, though, the space made by the vaulting branches of a forsythia is as grand as the inside of a cathedral, and there is room enough for a world between a lilac and a wall."

It is true.

9 comments:

Isa said...

beautiful pictures. thanks for the tour. i love wooden things (not to the point of hysteria though:) and plastic-free open space...nice trees...i can see your boys navigating through them. my girls would love to join in...especially for the mud.

FoxyJ said...

We have a constant source of conflict here in our student apartments, because the university wants to keep the landscaping nice and the kids want to do stuff like climb trees and dig holes. I feel like I can see both sides--I don't like random kids digging giant holes in front of my front door, but I hate all the restrictions on what my kids can do and play with. I hope we can have a nice backyard some day soon.

Gina said...

FoxyJ,
Oh yes, living in student housing was really difficult with the boys outside. Landscapers and adults seem to think kids want big grassy areas to play, and they can landscape nicely around the edges. My kids mostly ignore the grass and head for the edges to dig for worms. I still feel bad that I think my kids and a few friends pretty much killed a big bush in our apartment complex by wacking off branches before I realized what they were doing. It is a hard balance to strike, even now in my neighborhood. My neighbors have very nice lawns and flowers, etc, and our yard is pretty ghetto both because we are renters and because we have small kids that would undo anything nice we tried to do.

JessAum said...

Thank you for the tour of the yard! I tend to agree that the most fun I had was in the yards and spaces that were the least "done up"--Grandma's yard had (has?) that simple swing set, but I recall having more fun playing tag and kickball back there, and my little house in Cassadaga had some nice woods between us and my cousins that was GREAT for She-Ra and He-Man battles. No landscaping needed!

The picture of the buttercups with Joseph is gorgeous. Good photography!

Lisa said...

Gina- would you stop making me laugh so hard! I don't think people understand how funny you really are.

What a beautiful backyard you have- I don't recall every seeing it.

Isn't it amazing how it is the simple things in life that children most enjoy. My children love to take random things around the house and play with them outside.

I too thank you for sharing a moment about your children at play.

Mitchell Family said...

I enjoyed this very much and I imagine your boys will be glad you documented some of their favorite haunts. I remember well my favorite spot when I was 4: a clump of birch trees surrounded by tall grass (grass can be very tall when you're 4) and violets. I also loved your closing quote. Ruth

Linn said...

Gina, I just loved this--thank you for sharing. A yard, a yard...what would I do? What an amazing mom to ask the boys to show you their favorite spots. I still learn so much from you.

kim said...

I love this! It is so true and a good reminder that as much as I might want to landscape a yard (although I kind of like wild looking landscape), I need to make sure my kids have a place to play. And I also remember my favorite spots being the ones my dad hadn't gotten to yet (like the pile of gravel that was in our front yard for a couple years that we used as a sandbox to build hippos and castles.)

And thanks for your comment about moving--notice where I am just 36 hours before we should be leaving, LOL! But I have to take a break after having dinner at a friends' house, right?

Debby said...

What a fun post to read! ...also very comforting. I was feeling kind of bad - my kids don't have any outdoor toys, no trikes or bikes or swings or anything....just a shovel and a sand bucket and some bubbles - but they seem content. I'm glad to hear reassurance that yes, maybe that's all they need.