- Of course, the airplane rides for Joseph. It had a little rocky start when just as Joseph was stepping onto the first airplane from San Diego there was a huge, very loud burst of compressed air that scared him to death. He took off running like a maniac in the other direction, and we literally had to carry him kicking and screaming to his seat, where he amused the whole plane by howling "I don't want to go to Hawaii!!!!" But things went uphill fast, and the boys were terrific travelers.
- Everyone not having the stomach flu while flying. We had a little scare when the Friday before our 5 1/2 hour plane ride Caleb was throwing up, Joseph had diarrhea, and I wasn't feeling so hot myself. It was looking to be a long, long trip for us (and everyone around us), but happily it was super mild and we were just fine.
- Seeing my lovely sister, Laura, recently returned from her adventures in Mexico, Central America, and other places. She showered us with gifts, which we loved, even if the boys were not that excited about the little freedom fighter dolls she picked up in Chiapas. Her mango salsa, tabouleh, and pineapple salad were tasty, tasty. She'll shortly be off to Japan and Asia for more travel fun, to my Dad's incomprehension.

Dad with his girls. - Our helicopter ride around Kauai on Monday afternoon. There is so much of the island that is not easily accessible, and it was just stunning to be in the crater, flying along the Na Pali coast, and flying above the Waimea canyon. It is an amazing place.
- Eating breakfast together each morning on the patio overlooking the ocean.
- Waking up the first morning to one of the most beautiful sunrises over the ocean ever.
- The epic two-day backpacking trip that Laura, Nephi, and I did along the Kalalau trail on the Na Pali coast. It was long (11 miles each way), grueling (you climb in and out of five valleys along the way), scary (think 10-inch wide sketchy paths along cliffs), and fantastic. Absolutely gorgeous valleys, waterfalls, streams, and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world at the end of it. In the morning we woke up and watched a pod of dolphins playing in the ocean, watching the light just playing on the white breaking waves, the green cliffs behind us slowly being lit up. It was something we'll never forget

Nephi and I on the Kalalau trail.
I'm not kidding about the 10 inch trail along the cliffs. After this section I sort of took a break and hyperventalated for a few minutes. - The amazing Kamalani playground literally outside our cottage door. It is one of the coolest playgrounds I've ever seen, and the boys had a great time playing there.
- The roosters that run wild all over Kauai, apparently since a big hurricane let a bunch loose a decade or so ago. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about them running around everywhere, but they were pretty and the boys loved them.
- Terrific snorkeling at several beaches. Nephi even saw sea turtles at Kee beach - maybe he'll have more to say about that.

One of the sea turtles Nephi saw at Kee beach. - The protected children's pools at the beach right by our cottage where the boys could play safely in the water for hours.

Caleb loved exploring the rocks surrounding the children's pools at the ocean.
It's always a good time for Joseph to gather some sticks. - Being together with my family. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Here's everyone together at the airport.
It was fun, beautiful, and it's great to be home. Aloha!
2 comments:
Your trip looks amazing! How wonderful for y'all to be able to get together in such a beautiful environment. Thank you for the update and fantastic pictures! Though the picture of the teensy cliff-side trail almost made me choke on my lunch. Yikes!
JEALOUSY! Your trip looks too good to be true. I can't believe that 10 inch trail picture! I'm going to make sure to use this post as a travel reference for when Adam and I finally make it to Hawaii. We haven't been yet, but your travelouge sounds like the perfect itinerary for us. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment