Thursday, July 21, 2005

Random updates

No excuses about why it's been so long since I've posted; now I'm just getting lazy ... We're still here and doing well. A list seem like an easy way to share what's been happening the last week or so in our family:

  • It is hot, hot, hot here in San Diego. And humid. And we're not used to it. If it's not 72 and sunny, we're complaining about the weather here.
  • The boys are slowly recovering from a round of croup, a nasty but not really dangerous childhood illness. My friend Rachel thought it was only found in olde timey books like Anne of Green Gables, but it's pretty common. It was sad to hear little Caleb coughing like that, but we survived a few long nights and it's nice to see smiles again.
  • Joseph has adopted a few weird sleeping habits, like sleeping with his room light on the whole night, and also sleeping with his whole body, including his head, under a fleece blanket, even though it is hot, hot, hot. He wakes up drenched in sweat but strangely doesn't seem to mind, and it makes his hair curl into darling little ringlets.
  • We had our Poetry book club this week, where everyone just shared poems they really like. I recited The Second Coming by Yeats, and Marg shared On Turning Ten by Billy Collins, which I loved. (Another really wonderful poem by him is The Lanyard. I heard him read it on a TV show a few years ago and still remember it.) It was a great night.
  • Caleb is getting really, really close to crawling. I'm excited for him. Also, he's developed this cute little thing where he sticks out his tongue like a little snake. Very darling.
  • The boys and I took an eventful walk today, during which we saw lawnmowers, leaf blowers, men with chainsaws trimming trees, and a wood chipper in action. Yowza.
  • We had a fun visit last Friday with Nephi's friend from college, Alan, who is a professional video game developer and was in town for Comic-Con, a huge comic book convention here in San Diego. I think it's an exotic and cool career, and he is an exceedingly nice person. Thanks for spending some time with us, Alan!
  • Yesterday Nephi didn't have his keys with him, and Joseph and I were in the back room listening to Barney songs on the computer so we didn't hear his knocking or doorbell ringing. So what did he do? Climbed up onto our balcony! I was mighty impressed. Next time you visit, consider the task and you'll be impressed too.
  • I finished the new Harry Potter today, and Nephi is whizzing through the last few pages even as I type. I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan, but this book is really excellent. It's worth the read.

Overall, a nice few days.

1 comment:

JessAum said...

It's good to know you're alive and well out there!

and...I can't believe I never connected the fact taht you live in the same city as Comic-Con!! I'm officially reserving your couch for next year's con - I've been lamenting it being on the opposite coast for years. :)